Monday, February 6, 2012

The Civil War is Over!!...til further notice

Here are some pictures of my Civil War Tribute Quilt. It was a block of the month (BOM) from my local quilt store (LQS). It took me about a year to piece the whole thing. It was a gift to my dad in Minneapolis for Christmas 2010. I had it quilted by Stitch'n Quilt in MAbleton, GA and I am very pleased with the way it all turned out. It is an absolutely gorgeous quilt with, my dad estimated, over 2,000 pieces--that's about one piece for every mile of the Appalachian Trail which my dad completed at age 68 after section hiking for 3 years.
I love the half-square triangle border. And to think, I almost didn't
do that border!! This was not an easy quilt...the directions were
very confusing and hard to follow, but I struggled through and
finished it!
My dad loves it and it will be a treasured heirloom for many years
to come. It will keep him warm on those cold Minnesota nights.
And ...now...it is on to the Civil War Chronicles...another BOM from
my LQS that I picked up each month last year and will finidh it this year! This one belongs to me and Randy!!

2 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous! I am doing the same quilt. I am on the borders. How did you cut your borders? Parallel to the selvage or selvage to selvage? Thanks so much! Rachel Childress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I usually cut my borders WOF--width of fabric--which would be selvedge to selvedge.
    Thanks for reading and commenting!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete